Pontypool United RFC | 1st Team 10 - 15 Ynysddu RFC | 1st Team
Jeremy Roberts
5 Penalty

Match Report
21 September 2019 / Team News

Dancing in the street

They’ll be dancing in the streets of Pontypool tonight was a famous quote by Bill McLaren but after todays results all the dancing will be done on the high Street of Ynysddu as second division Ynysddu took the scalp of First division Pontypool Utd in the Plate first round game.

The selectors had taken the opportunity of to make further changes from the side that last week took the scalp of neighbours Blackwood RFC in the league and showing the strength in the squad have now played 28 boys in 3 games.  On arriving at Pontypool flanker Dan Holvey  informed the coaches that he was suffering from a chest infection and didn’t mind standing down but as it was the first time this season he had been picked in his favoured Back row position he took his place after discussion with the selectors. That’s what its like at the club now. He was willing to forego his opportunity for the benefit of the side. With Joe starting his first game and Nathan Lewis having his first call in second row with Luke Hughes dropping back to No 8 and Ieaun Richards having his first start on the blindside. Lewis Millard had his first start with a new Centre pairing of Jez and Revs the final changes in the day.

The DDs  started well  and after some sustained pressure got their reward after 10 minutes when Jezza kicked his first penalty of the game. Utd played their way into the Ynyssdu 22 and although we won the lineout the referee penalised Luke for double banking when all he was doing was peeling around to support the middle line catch. Utd were quick with the tap and scored under the post which was converted and gave them a lead of 7-3 after 14 minutes.  Fair play to the boys they continued to take the game to the Utd and I would have said dominated scrum except the referee didn’t see it that way and killed our driving scrum by continuing to whistle us off the park to the frustration of players and supporters alike.  After a drive up field by the forwards UTD were penalised and Jezza slots over number 2 score 7-6. Shortly afterwards Luke Hughes suffered a back injury as forwards once again drove the Utd backwards. Another penalty for Jezza and we take the lead 9-7. To be fair the Ynyssdu pack had the better of the opposition 8 and  coming up to the half time whistle  Jezza slotted over penalty number 4 and we turned around leading 12 -7.

Holvey injured his shoulder at the start of the second half and with Joe and Keane already swapped the selector sent Kurt in from the wing to fill the back row jap and Jamsey replaced him on the wing.

We totally dominated the second half possession and despite driving them backwards over and over 5 metres out the ref seemed very reluctant to go under the posts of a penalty try. Frustration seemed to get to us when Prez breaks on the blindside only for their winger to outstretch his arm and blatantly  knock the ball forward that was destined for Jamseys hands with the line at his mercy. Surely this is a penalty try but no just a yellow card. Jezza slotted over penalty number 5 and the lead increased to 15-7. Entering into what everyone thought was the last 10 minutes the forwards were still pushing the Utd backwards at scrum time but still no penalty try coming. We had two further shots at goal which Jezza missed but it seemed what we thought was running down the clock just seemed to be added on as injury time. After the last miss the Utd kicked the ball long and seemed to be out of their 22 for the first time in an age. When the referee penalised five yards out and the Utd kicked the points, 15-10, everyone on the side thought they had given in the towel because time was surely over. Nobody could believe that the ref said 7 minutes still to go. My timer showed 47 minutes played without any stoppage yet according to his watch it meant that we had 14 minutes of injury in the second half . I think someone cocked up on his timings and it wasn’t me.  That was a long 7 minutes but regardless the boys were up of the challenge and when the whistle finally blew for the end of the game it must be said that we thoroughly the win and although disappointed many Utd supporters acknowledged that on the day the better side  won.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos