Rhydyfelin RFC | 1st Team 26 - 12 Ynysddu RFC | 1st Team
Conversion 3
Try 1
Joshua Hawkins
Try 2
Scott Pritchard
Try 1

Match Report
15 October 2019 / Team News

Our road to the Millennium stops at Rhydyfelin!!

When the late Ken Gwilym brainstormed the WRU cup it was to give grassroots rugby the opportunity to play the elite clubs in Welsh rugby but as we move forward the WRU likes to think that by introducing the Plate and Bowl it gives more players and grassroots clubs the opportunity to play at the Millennium Stadium. When the draw was made and pitted us against Rhydyfelin of Division 1 Eat Central and previously The Championship we knew we were in for a challenge but as always it was a challenge we gladly accepted. To be a Division 2 club in with Division 1 sides in the Plate means that to get to the stadium you must have more than an exceptional side in your own Division but a lot of luck in the draw. Unlike others we take up the challenge, but history shows that the competition winners have always come from Division 1 sides.

A chuckle bus arrived and the selected squad minus a few regulars travelled in good spirits to Rhydyfelin, a side we have never played before but whose reputation had gone before them. The current Division 1 east central side unbeaten this season against a dds side currently undefeated in Division 2 East so some ones first defeat was looming.

Straight from the kick off the DDs were penalised when Luke failed to hold the ball and it rolled onto Jacks foot in front of him.  A shocking decision which their full back seemed to agree with as he put the kick wide, the only time in 80 minutes he put a foot wrong. The next 7 minutes both sides went at each other when after a drive-up field out of defence the Dds were penalised 40 metres out. From the kick the ball seemed to have gone out on play and the Rhydyfelin linesman signal so only for the referee to overrule him and gave the lineout 5 metres out. I think our forwards were still in a state of shock with the decision as we failed to attack the lineout and they scored via their hooker at the front of the line. This seemed to set the standard with the ref having more and more influence on the game with some very poor decisions.

Back we go and whilst there were long periods of defending to be done nobody was shy in the tackle. From a dropped ball on our 22 Jezza hacked on and followed that with a tackle and rip before offload to Jambo who ran in at the corner. Conversion missed 5-5.  

 Rhydyfelin came back at us but we stood firm in defence even when on 30 minutes Jezza received his second yellow card in as many weeks. A harsh decision tbut we were still in the game until an overthrow on their 10 metre line gave them a run at our defence again. They drove hard but we repelled their advances until the numbers worked to their advantage and they score near the posts just on half time,. 12-5.

The start of the second half saw them come at us all guns blazing and after 8 minutes a chip through by their 10 seemed to have passed both the try line and the dead ball line before a Rhydyfelin player slid along the grass and I guess just for his effort the ref decides to award a try.Jod in his captains role queried the decision especially as the ref was a good 15 metres away but the response was I thought he got there. Converted and we’re now 19- 5 down.

This spurred the home side on and we defended for our lives. We knocked them back with big hits from Jod,, Luke , Butch and Ieaun  to the fore. As the time for subs appears on come the replacements, Regan for the uncompromising Keane whose having a great start to the season and our quiet assassins of Holvey and Ross replacing  Butch and Ieaun . Before they had change to get into the game Rhydyfelin scored a try straight of the training paddock with the full back running straight between our centres and this converted left us 26 – 5 behind 

The Dds are not one to crumble and with 15 minutes left it was totally different. We started running at them Holvey showing he’s no shrinking violet with hard yards gained with tacklers left in his trail  supported by Scottie and Harry who come on to replace Jack.  Browne had come on to replace Lewis and the old soldier was there putting his battle harden body on the line for the cause. It was following good strong interplay between the forwards that was battering the Rhydyfelin line.

With ten minutes left the forwards won the ball 10 metres out and then the ball hit the Bulls hands there was going to be no stopping him as he went heading towards the line faster than Fraggle getting to the bar when free beers about. With one left in his trail and two on his back the Bull crossed the whitewash. 26-10. Too knackered to take the kick he entrusted it to Pickles and it sailed between the sticks.

Back in the game and all inhibitions thrown to the wind the Dds  started running the ball from everywhere and when we broke from behind our try line with Pickles Jezza and Kurt linking well and running out passed our 22 when Jezza gave a nice pass to Kurt  who then committed their last defender before return the pass to Jezza with an open field in front of him the visitors support cheering him on when the ref calls him back for a forward pass. Another decision where his positioning was proving costly for the Dds.

The time had now run out and the final whistle goes with Rhydyfelin progressing into the next round. The Dds had not disgraced themselves, showing that they are capable to playing in Division 1 if the occasion arises. With regards the referee I think the assessor had more notes than myself but personally I thought it was a game too far for him on this occasion.

We thank Rhydyfelin for their hospitality on and off the field and wish them well in the next round and for the remainder of the season.

The Dds are on the road again next week when we travel to Caerleon in a tough league fixture and the boys welcome all your support.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos